Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The John Hagee Controversy By Michael Corley


have received numerous emails over the last week or so regarding a controversy ongoing concerning John Hagee. The San Antonio, Texas based pastor and founder of a large television and radio ministry has been cited recently as making claims in his current book In Defense of Israel that Jesus did not claim to be God’s Messiah for the Jewish people. It has long been said by some that Hagee also promotes “duel covenant theology”, a belief which teaches that Jews can go to heaven simply by keeping the Law of Moses and that conversion to Christianity is not necessary. Hagee however has denied belief in dual-covenant theology, stating so in an official statement to the Jerusalem Post on March 1, 2006.
Another concern of many is the association Hagee has with promoters of the Word of Faith movement. Hagee has had relationships with such notables as Kenneth Copeland, Benny Hinn, Jesse Duplantis and others, even allowing them in the pulpit at Cornerstone Church in San Antonio where Hagee is pastor, and appearing on numerous television broadcasts as well.
For the sake of full disclosure, I want it to be known that I have had a working relationship with John Hagee Ministries since 2004, as Hagee’s daily radio program airs on our station WQBC AM.
Needless to say, I am greatly upset by statements attributed to Rev. Hagee, and I have contacted John Hagee Ministries for a response, and I have invited Hagee to come on our daily radio program to discuss the issue. A representative with the ministry said that Pastor Hagee was not immediately available, but they would relay my requests on to him, including my request for an interview.
While I will wait to get a direct response from John Hagee before I elaborate on these issues, I will go on the record as stating that the comments attributed to Hagee disturb me greatly and are very serious. I want to know more.
I will post details here as they become available. Below is a commercial promoting the book and specifically the statement by Hagee mentioned above.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0K1GEs2gAI&eurl=http://theexpositor.wordpress.com/

No comments: