Thursday, November 29, 2007

The 'Relevant Church' and it's Toll on Youth

Quoting a parent's letter . . .
My husband grew up a Catholic and I, a Lutheran. Before we married we each came to salvation in different evangelical churches in the early 1980's. After many years of bringing our children up in these types of churches, my husband and I began to question various practices. I wasn't comfortable with my children in the youth groups being "taught [exclusively] by others" and where there was a tendency to focus more on "fun", than on the Bible. I also didn't understand why the basic biblical truths I learned as a child were not being taught. So, eventually, I began to teach these things to my younger children at home during our homeschool time. But, all the while, my husband and I struggled with the fact that there was no real doctrine or theology being taught in these churches, only a lot of hype and emotion.

Thus began a long quest for truth. We have come (now) to recognize first hand - the danger in the contemporary church that a lack of good teaching creates. We see the evidence in the youth culture that is being brought up in these modern churches.
Our oldest child of six, a son, 23, knew the Bible stories well. He was very involved in church, youth group, and went to a Christian School. He went on retreats, mission trips and to church events like "Acquire the Fire". We thought he understood the Scriptures. Yet, it turns out that he has now bought into the youth culture, and is very confused about the things of God. To the point that . . . he has fallen away from Christianity! Unfortunately, we didn't teach and reinforce the basics with him at home as much as we should have, (which we are now doing with the rest of our children).
We see the damage done, first hand, by our "lukewarmness" and by a modern "church" that has no roots and continues to walk parallel with the world in the "name" of "winning souls"!
From:
Family Worship video series from CrossTV.com

No comments: