Thursday, September 27, 2007

Question from Judy

In the last few years, I have begun deepening my walk with God. In part, because God lead me to exposure to the teachings of Joyce Meyer. I have recently come to understand, in part, my ignorance and need to dig deeper into scriptures in order to come closer to God and to fully understand the denominations and their positions on the Gospel. As you know this is a time consuming task...and we, as Christians, need to dedicate our lives to this pursuit. However, since we are all fallible, I do believe that God can use ministers despite their inaccuracies. This said, we all need to strive for Biblical accuracy. I wonder if you could clarify the points on which you believe Joyce Meyer's teaching are Biblically incorrect. If I have been misinformed, I would like to know those areas in which I must focus my own study to make sure that I am Biblically correct. I do not know the extent of deviation that you perceive, or the length of time involved in answering my question, but if you cannot take the time to address the matter fully, perhaps you can outline it for me and direct me to where I can study the issues more in depth.

Thank you for your time.

May God lead your path,

Judy Fancher

Judy,
This is an excellent question. First of all I want to praise God for the fact that you are searching for the truth.
When it comes to the teaching of Joyce Meyer the first thing that stands out to us is her teaching focuses more on man’s own attitude towards situations then God being Sovereign over all things. In the seeker friendly movement you will find more teachings that have to do with a person own feelings than suffering for the Gospel’s sake, Repentance, Reverence towards Holy God etc.

When it comes to inaccuracies I will say we are all subject to error, but when it comes to a teacher they are to study to show themselves approved. And that does mean approved buy men but by God through Holy Scripture.

God can not work through inaccuracies only through His infallible Word.

In the case of Joyce Meyer it is much more than a small error in the expositing of a tough verse in Scripture. It is a whole philosophy based on positive thinking, health and wealth and feeling your best today. But lacking any sound Biblical Doctrinal Teachings.

The main point of Doctrinal error with Joyce Meyer is related to her belief that man can choose his or her destiny as it pertains to Salvation. This is a very serious error that will lead people astray instead of to Christ. She believes if a persons says and believes what they are saying then it will happen. And if it does not happen then there must be sin in that person’s life. Or they have not sown enough money into for example the work of her own ministry.

You see using Scripture as our guide we see that this is not supported contextually. What this is. Is the power of positive thinking. And what it is not is sound biblical teaching.

What you must keep in mind as you listen to a persons teachings. Is does Scripture support what is being said. And that does not mean just because the person is putting Scripture to what they are saying. But are they teaching a sound doctrinal belief contextually from Holy Scripture.

So with that said I would look at Joyce Meyer as more of a motivational speaker. Someone who will make you feel good for the moment. But as a sound teacher grounded in the Word and its doctrinal Truth. I must say avoid that kind of teaching. I have included a link to some posts from our blog site last month that will help you http://truthmattersinc.blogspot.com/2007_08_01_archive.html

Also for scriptural support that will help you make a sound comparison in the future I have included our Declarations page http://www.truthmattersinc.org/declarations.html

Thank you for your question
And may our Lord Bless you
Rev Charles J Paul

No comments: