Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Oscar Nominee For 'Best Christian Horror Movie' By Jim B.


If there were such a thing as a Christian "horror movie", it ought to be based on this ominous scene from Pilgrim's Progress. Reason being, I can think of few things on earth that would be more frightening than being sin-trapped in John Bunyan's iron cage.
I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm first reading John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress now, after being a Christian for over 20 years. Being the best selling book of all time (after the bible), this Puritan classic is one that I should have read long ago. I've been reading it to my kids at night for the past few weeks now, and this part of the book really stuck with me.
Then Christian said, "Now let me go forward." But theInterpreter replied, "No, you must stay until I have showed youa little more. After this you can be on your way." So he tookhim by the hand again and led him into a very dark room wherea man sat in an iron cage. Now this man seemed very sad tolook upon. He sat with his eyes looking down toward theground, his hands tightly folded together; and he sighed as if hisheart would break. Then said Christian, "What does this mean?"So the Interpreter told him to talk with the man.
CHRISTIAN: What are you doing here?MAN: I am what I once was not.CHRISTIAN: What were you once?MAN: I was once a fair [attractive], flourishing [thriving] andprofessing Christian, in the eyes of both myself and others. At one time I was convinced of being fair [well set] for reachingthe Celestial City; and even had joyous thoughts of arrival at that destination.CHRISTIAN: Yes, but what are you now?MAN: I am now a man of despair and am shut up [captive]to it, as this iron cage depicts. I cannot get out. Oh howmiserable I am since now I cannot get out.CHRISTIAN: But how did you come to be in this condition?MAN: I neglected to watch and be sober; I loosed anyrestraint that had been on my lusts and gave them free reign;I sinned against the light of the Word and the goodness of God;I have grieved the Holy Spirit so that He has departed from me;I have provoked God to anger and He has abandoned me;I have so hardened my heart that I cannot repent.
Then Christian spoke to the Interpreter, "But is there no hope for such a man as this?" "You ask him," replied the Interpreter.
CHRISTIAN: Do you have any hope that you will not bepermanently kept in this iron cage of despair?MAN: No, none at all.CHRISTIAN: But why ought that to be so? Are you not aware that the Son of the Blessed is very merciful and compassionate?MAN: Nevertheless I have crucified him again by my life;I have despised his person; I have despised his righteousness;I have regarded his blood as something quite unholy; I have donedespite to [spitefully opposed, insulted] the Spirit of grace.Therefore I have shut myself out of all of the promises of God;and there now remains for me nothing but threatenings, fearfulprospects of rebuke, fiery indignation, and certain judgment thatshall, as would some adversary, wholly consume me.CHRISTIAN: For what reasons did you bring yourself intothis sorry condition?MAN: On account of the lusts, pleasures, and profits of thisworld. It was in the enjoyment of these things that I promisedmyself increasing delight. But now they all, as it were, snap backand bite me; they gnaw at my soul like a burning worm.CHRISTIAN: But can you not now repent and turn from thiswretched condition?MAN: No, for God has denied me repentance; His Wordgives me no encouragement to believe. Yes, He himself has shutme up in this iron cage so that even all the men in the world areunable to obtain my release. Oh eternity! eternity! How can Ipossibly grapple with the misery that I shall encounter in eternity?INTERPRETER: So remember this man's misery, and let hissorry condition be a perpetual warning to you.CHRISTIAN: Well, this is a most fearful situation. May God help me to watch and be sober, and pray that I may shun the cause of this man's grief.

Resources Recommendations:
If you've read Pilgrim's Progress before in it's original old-English, the above text probably looks unusual to you. The version I'm reading out of is called The Accurate Revise Text edition, by Barry Horner. On his web site you'll find some excellent Bunyan resources including a commentary that explains the scriptures and theology behind the Pilgrim's Progress text. Barry Horner is giving away a lot of his resources on his site, but one package that you might consider purchasing is the Accurate Revised edition along with another book of his called Themes and Issues. The sketch below is from the "1891 Edition w/ 170 Illustrations". I also recommend some of the other Pilgrim's Progress titles on that page including the collection of sermons that CH Spurgeon preached relating to Bunyan's book. There's also a great puzzle (or matching poster) that you can buy that will help your kids keep track of where they are in the story as it's being read. If you are into historical keepsakes for your home, three good ones that you'll want to have include this giant print version of Pilgrim's Progress, the Geneva Bible of the Mayflower Pilgrims, and a New England Primer.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Yes, the Pilgrim's Progress is riveting...and I have also found the following to be more soul-searching and "scary" if you will...
Cross TV's "Marks of the New Birth; Final Notes."